The satisfaction of bringing together the best experts in the world at home
Dr. Luis Martí-Bonmatí (QUIBIM co-founder and director of advisory board) and myself had been locally organising the joint congress of the European Society of Oncological Imaging (ESOI) and the European Society of Medical Imaging Informatics (EuSoMII) for approximately 1 year, and the event finally took place past October from 6th to 8th at our home. The Venue was our hospital: La Fe Polytechnics and University Hospital, where we develop our professional activity and where QUIBIM headquarters are placed, since QUIBIM is a spin-off Company of La Fe Health Research Institute, the institutional arm of the hospital to perform research.
The topic of the congress was “Imaging Informatics in Oncology” and it was the result of joining both Societies fields like Oncology and Medical Imaging Informatics from ESOI and EUSOMII, respectively. The congress program combined workshops with plenary sessions. The workshops covered different concrete areas like Response to treatment, Tumor Boards, 3D printing, and Imaging Informatics for clinicians and computer scientists. The complete program can be found here.
I had the opportunity to present on our stepwise development of Imaging Biomarkers process and the associated bottlenecks for validation. Here you can find the slides of the presentation.
Our group had a really active participation, either from the Biomedical Imaging Research Group (GIBI230) from our Hospital and from QUIBIM.
The main scientific presentations were:
- ProstateChecker, a tool for the multi-variate analysis of Prostate Cancer from T2, diffusion and perfusion MR sequences, by David García-Juan, post-processing biomedical engineer at QUIBIM
- Cloud architecture for Imaging Biomarkers analysis, by Rafael Hernández, CTO at QUIBIM
- Spatial registration on PET-CT scans and quantitative structured report for treatment response evaluation on lymphoma patients, by Fabio García-Castro, post-processing biomedical engineer at QUIBIM
- Web application for PI-RADS 2.0 Structured Reporting, by Enrique Ruiz-Martínez, CTO at GIBI230 group
- Business analytic, metric, key performance indicator. Automating the monitorization of performance indicators in Radiology departments, by Enrique Ruiz-Martinez, CTO at GIBI230 group
- Platform for the integration of Imaging Biomarkers in Radiology Departments, by Enrique Ruiz-Martinez, CTO at GIBI230 group
- Integration of Redmine as a tool to manage Clinical Trials in Radiology, by Amadeo Ten-Esteve, Clinical Trial Manager at GIBI230 group.
- Artificial intelligence techniques applied to medical imaging. Deep learning applied to automated chest X-ray screening, by Belén Fos-Guarinos, internship biomedical engineering student at GIBI230 group.
- Automatic vertebrae localization in pathological spine CT using Decision Forests, by Ana Jiménez Pastor, internship telecommunications engineering student at QUIBIM.
- Automated segmentation of muscle using Neural Networks, by Sara Rocher, internship biomedical engineering student at GIBI230 group.
- Automatic classification of intensity-vs-time curves in breast DCE-MRI by K-means clustering and Dynamic Time Warping curve matching, by Fabio García-Castro, post-processing biomedical engineer at QUIBIM
In the meantime, the QUIBIM stand was boiling! With several experts interested…
Besides the opportunity to present the work of our group, we had some remarkable visits to our headquarters, like the visit of Dr. Regina Beets-Tan group together with Dr. Erik Ranschaert (see photo).
Visit of the group of Dr. Regina Beets-Tan and Dr. Erik Ranschaert to QUIBIM headquarters
Industry also visited us, in this case it was Agfa Healthcare. The Global Senior Solution Manager, Mr. Chris Townend and the National Sales Manager, José Vicente Puig visited our headquarters and attended the demo of our solution.
The last day we were lucky to have Regina Beets-Tan and Sergey Mozorov, new presidents of ESOI and EUSOMII, respectively, at our headquarters.
The experience speaks by itself.